Wednesday, April 25, 2012

How Do I turn My Firggin Brain Off?

If you are anything like me there are times in the day when you literally LIVE in your mind. Where you just CANNOT turn your brain off. In the the book Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle he talks about being in the now and experiencing life to the fullest in the present moment.
Ok, that's great but how the heck do I turn my brain off long enough to do this? Try the method outline below and see if it helps. I have used it and have had great results.



Rhythmic Breathing, by Curt Town, RMT.

Rhythmic breathing is a great way to calm the body and mind. It can be utilized for creating a very deep
state of relaxation. It can also become a meditation in and of itself, wherein the counting provides the mind
with a focus while at the same time creating the means for creating a sense of stillness and deep
relaxation.

It can also be used as a moving meditation. For example, while walking or driving to a meeting that you are
feeling some stress or anxiety about, In this case, it can create a greater sense of calm and centering,
helping you to be ‘grounded’, more in your body, and less in the fears of the mind.

Key Pointers and Tips:

- There are 4 phases to each breath cycle (one cycle is one complete breath):
One cycle consists of, 1) Inhale, 2) Pause between inhale and exhale, 3) Exhale, 4) Pause between exhale and next inhale - Each phase is the same duration.
- The pause phases are relaxed, like suspending/pausing the inhale or exhale as if you are about to continue the same phase. For example, when inhaling then pausing, just stop the inhale as if you are going to continue to inhale, so that the chest is held expanded but relaxed. Not with tension like trying to hold a breath, or bearing down while on the toilet.
- If at any time during a pause or exhale there is the need to take in air before completing the cycle, then
use a shorter duration until the body relaxes into it more.
- Start with a short duration initially. As the cycles progress, and the breathing feels easy, lengthen the
duration. I like to progress with increases in increments of a count of 3. For example, when first sitting
down, if I’m already relaxed and my heartbeat is at resting rate, I’ll start with a count of 6. When it feels
right, I’ll increase to a count of 9, and so on. If I’ve just sat down after being active, I might start initially with
a duration of 3 until I know I’m not going to gasp on the exhale.
- Using the heart beat is my favourite means for the tempo because even if I use the same duration/count
throughout the entire sitting, as I become more relaxed, the heart beat slows and the length of time is extended.
- One nice way to occupy a busy, easily distracted mind is to use a relaxing piece of music with a slow,
easy tempo for the counting process. If using rhythmic breathing as a means of clearing and ‘stilling’ the
mind before meditating, use such a piece of music that’s at the end of a CD, or, the player is set to play
only that one song, so that when the music ends, the CD stops, and there’s no distraction from entering the
meditation.
- In the case of a using rhythmic breathing while walking, you would need to use a very brief duration for
the count. I use the pace of the footsteps as the tempo, and usually use a count of 2 steps [right-left,
inhale; right-left, pause; right-left, exhale; right-left, pause].
- The length of the sitting is as long as you like. In my original practice, I would make a commitment to do
the exercise for at least 15 minutes, or the length of a long relaxing piece of music. The phase durations
would lengthen the more practiced I became.

As a note of encouragement and a testimonial for what is possible: Years ago, when I began a regular
practice of rhythmic breathing, over the period of a couple of years, I progressively increased the duration
by increments of 3 counts after each 3 to 6 breath cycles (3, 6, 9, 12…) so that eventually I was able to use
a duration of 21 counts for each phase using my heartbeat as the tempo (that means 4 phases at 21 counts
= 84 counts per one breath cycle; almost 2 minutes per breath cycle). On one occasion, I used rhythmic
breathing to achieve consciously lowering my heartbeat to 24 beats per minute. Negative emotional stress
was not an issue at that moment.

Cheers,

Bouncelife

No comments:

Post a Comment